FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Umai-Ya Japanese Restaurant KLCC

Back to one of our many #KEVDA food adventures last year; this was in Oct which I remembered quite well cause it was part of my belated birthday celebration. I love the fact that one of the common things we share is our love for Japanese food, definitely makes it easier when it comes to deciding what to have when we are out. 

UMAI-YA has been around since 2007 with currently 3 branches running in Klang Valley. Their extensive menu offers up to 200 food and beverages selection ranging from sushi to yakitori as well as authentic and contemporary fare.

Working hard behind the sushi counter is Executive Chef H.M. Yau who has been working in the kitchen since 1987 and has great passion towards Japanese cuisine.

Started off our meal with these fat juicy salmon sashimi and uni. The salmon sashimi was really fresh and its buttery taste just literally melts(!) in your mouth. 

The uni (sea urchin) is one of their seasonal dishes and it will be priced according to the current rate as well. Since I have never eaten sea urchin before, Kevin suggested that I should try it since it's available during our visit. I would say the taste was rather unique cause I was actually expecting some fishy taste but boy was I wrong. It is a combination of ocean briny taste with a subtle sweetness and texture of a creamy custard; no wonder it's so pricey!

Salmon Kimchee Maki which is basically kimchi, seasoned scallop wings with raw salmon and cucumber.

Bikkuri Maki which is tuna, salmon, shiro maguro (which is actually white tuna), cheese and cucumber rolled with dry fish. Their sushi rolls are definitely one of the best I've ever tasted, their not so typical combination turns out to be just amazing. It felt like party in my mouth with every single piece, I kid you not.

My all time favourite Chawanmushi (*^ڡ^*) 

Lastly, we ordered Gyu-tan Teppanyaki as well; thinly sliced beef tongue cooked over a grilling pan. Yes, you read it right, it's BEEF TONGUE. Initially, I was grossed out by the thought of it until Kevin convinced me that it's actually tasty. And so I had my very first slice and mmmm I jizzed in my pants! It was soooooooo good, taste like beef but ten times better.




I definitely see myself coming back to try out some of their other signature dishes. Weekend lunch buffet (RM58++ with free flow beer) is sadly not available at KLCC but you can always head over to their Puchong or Damansara Utama outlets. Overall, I think their food is quite fantastic and worth every cents we paid albeit on the pricey end. Their service could have been better if the waiters are more attentive to their customers.

UMAI-YA (Suria KLCC) 
Lot No. 428, Level 4, Suria KLCC
Jalan Ampang,Kuala Lumpur.
Tel No: 03 2161 3939
Opening Hours: 11.30am - 10pm daily
Official FB page: HERE

xx

No comments: